What is Peridex?
Peridex is a medication mouth rinse that kills bacteria. It is used to treat redness, swelling, and bleeding of inflamed gums (gingivitis, periodontal disease).
How To Use: This medication is best started after a thorough teeth cleaning by your dentist. This medication is used as an oral rinse usually in the morning and evening after brushing your teeth. Measure out the proper dose using the cup provided, then swish it around in the mouth for 30 seconds or as directed. Then spit it out, do not swallow the Peridex. Do not rinse your mouth, brush your teeth, or eat immediately after using this drug. Use this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Peridex will not treat a viral or fungal infection such as canker sores, or oral thrush (yeast infection).
Side Effects: This medication may cause staining of the teeth or tongue. The stains can be removed by your dentist. Changes in taste, mouth irritation, or mouth sores may occur. If this medication is accidentally swallowed, an upset stomach or nausea may occur. In the unlikely event that you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include trouble breathing, itching, swelling, or severe dizziness. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Precautions: Before using this drug, tell your dentist about medical/dental history including any drug allergies. Tell your dentist if you are pregnant before using this medication. Store at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
Drug Interactions: Even though this medication is not meant to be swallowed and no interactions are suspected, tell your dentist of all prescription and nonprescription drugs you use. Do not start or stop any medicine without the approval of your doctor or pharmacist.
Visit your dentist at least every six months for preventive tooth and gum care.